Thursday, May 20, 2010

Grandma's Pearls | Pyrography

After delving back into pyrography to create a suitable grave marker for Rowdy, I realized how much I missed it. I've always loved the smell of fire and burning wood. When I was a child, I used to sit for hours in front of a fireplace and watch the flames. As I grew older, I enjoyed sitting in front of an outdoor bonfire on a cold winter night. Creating pyrographic art takes me back to those times.

I decided to take on the challenge of another wood burning this week. I had my daughter photograph a partial strand of knotted pearls which belonged to my grandmother. Working from that photograph, I stippled the pearls onto a 4"x4" piece of wood. This art is appropriately titled "Grandma's Pearls" and is for sale from a new page I've added to my website.

I've already been working on another design - a tiger. It will be very tedious, but I plan to use the stippling technique with his artwork as well. There's something about the effect I really love, and it never ceases to amaze me that an artistic image can arise from the combination of thousands of tiny dots. :)


Thanks so much for stopping in to view my work and for sharing my website with fellow art lovers! Comments are always welcome.

InJoy,
♥ Jai
http://www.jaiart.com
Enjoy my mini art gallery on the front page, and shop for limited edition prints, cards, and gifts with your favorite paintings. Be sure to read the news page for upcoming series, events, contests, and more exciting things!

No comments: