Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cat Painting #9, in progress


Skipped a day yesterday...too many issues I had to deal with, plus errands. So I'm trying to get back in the swing of things today with another cat painting, #9 in my series of 365 paintings. This is an in progress shot of Oreo's painting...her with her catnip mouse. Right now, I'm working the painting upside down - I know, it looks right-side-up here, but the photo was shot the other direction. I'm just painting it this way because it's easier, and closer to the end, I'll flip it.

I post these progress photos to show the beginnings (i.e. how awful) of how a painting looks. But by posting the in progress photo, I can also spot my problem areas before they get too far. For instance in this painting, I can already see I need more white highlight in the eyes, and the dark fur area on the left needs to be more speckled than smooth. So I still have some work to do on this area, but I like to let the oil pastels sit up a bit and cool off so I can work the area better. In the meantime, I'll start filling in the rest of her face on the right side.

This one may take longer than one day...I'm draggin' a bit after yesterday!

No comments: